Ticks can spell trouble for our furry friends, causing irritation, infections, and even serious diseases. Understanding the impact of tick bites on dogs and learning how to protect them from these pesky parasites is crucial. There are many ways to keep ticks away from your dog, including preventative medications and property pest prevention.
Dangers of Ticks in Tennessee
Here in Tennessee, we primarily deal with two kinds of ticks: the Deer Tick and the American Dog Tick. These ticks often live in taller grass, close to walkways and trails, waiting for a host to get close. Ticks are ectoparasites that feed on the blood of animals, including dogs. They often target areas with less hair and more blood vessels, such as the ears, neck, belly, and legs. Within 24 hours of biting, ticks can transmit diseases such as:
- Rocky Mountain spotted fever
- Lyme disease
Tick Preventative Measures
Preventing ticks on your dog is best achieved by using tick-preventive products that kill or repel ticks before they can bite. Various options are available, including topical products applied to the skin once a month, oral tablets or chews given monthly or every three months, and collars worn continuously for up to eight months. Your veterinarian can guide you in selecting the most suitable preventive product based on your dog’s age, weight, health condition, and lifestyle.
In addition to using preventive products, there are practical steps you can take to protect your dog from ticks.
- Conduct daily tick checks, especially after outdoor activities, and avoid areas with tall grass, brush, or woods where ticks may lurk.
- Keeping your yard clean and well-maintained helps reduce tick habitats.
- Wearing long pants and socks when venturing into wooded or grassy areas adds an extra layer of protection.
- Having a professional tick exterminator treat your property.
Tick Removal Steps
If you discover a tick on your dog, it’s important to act swiftly but calmly.
- Using gloves, tweezers, or a tick removal tool, grasp the tick’s base near your dog’s skin and pull it out slowly and straight.
- Avoid squeezing or twisting the tick too forcefully.
- Dispose of the tick in a jar with alcohol, clean the bite and apply antibiotic cream.
- If you encounter difficulties removing a tick or if it’s in a delicate spot, like the eyes, mouth, or ears, seek assistance from your veterinarian.
Professional Tick Control Experts
Even with preventive measures in place, encountering ticks on your property or in your home is still possible. That’s where Inman-Murphy Termite & Pest Control’s PestFree365 services come into play. As a trusted pest control company serving Mid-South Tennessee since 1992, we have the expertise, knowledge, and tools to identify, eliminate, and prevent ticks and other pests from harming your family and pets.
By choosing our PestFree365 services, you can benefit from:
- A thorough inspection of your property
- A customized treatment plan.
- Regular service schedule to maintain a pest-free environment.
We also provide a guarantee that covers any pest issues that may arise between services.
Don’t let ticks compromise you and your dog’s health and happiness. Contact Inman-Murphy today for a free inspection and estimate. Our team is dedicated to keeping your home and pets protected year-round.