Summer is the time of year we love to get outdoors, relax, and enjoy the weather and all that our beautiful area has to offer.
That means summer picnics, fireworks, backyard barbecues, fun get-togethers, and maybe even some camping.
But along with all this summer fun comes a few annoyances: pests
Although some bugs and pests can be dangerous, the vast majority of insects and outdoor pests we deal with here are more bothersome and annoying than anything else.
Here are our best tips for our Memphis area friends looking to keep pests at a minimum this summer.
Indoor Pest Prevention Tips:
One of the things you need to be aware of is that extended periods of dry, warm weather affects the food supply for bugs—this forces pests such as spiders, ants, scorpions and rodents to venture indoors for food and water.
- Keep all food closed up tight, put away (keep it in the fridge if you need to), and don’t leave pet’s water and food bowl full overnight.
- Seal your doors to prevent easy entrance points for ants, spiders, and the like.
- Make sure screens on windows and doors are not ripped or shredded. This is a common entrance point for flying insects like mosquitoes, bees, and wasps.
- Empty your trash cans regularly, especially if you throw out leftover food in it.
Outdoors Pest Prevention Tips:
This is the most common pest area we deal with, so pay extra attention outside your home so you’ll be able to enjoy the outdoors more this summer.
- Get rid of standing water wherever you can. This breeds mosquitoes and other water loving insects. Replace standing water in places such as birdbaths, at least once a week. Do not use pesticides in these birdbaths or small ponds if you expect other animals such as birds to enjoy the water.
- Remove excess weeds and grasses along with trash and dried, dead leaves from around your home. These are great breeding grounds for spiders and other pests.
- Keep grass cut short to limit areas that bugs tend to love.
For both indoors and outdoors pest control and prevention, it’s a good idea to hire a professional pest control service to help you really keep bugs under control.
With summer in full effect here, it’s time to contact Inman-Murphy Pest Control for all of your Memphis pest prevention needs. (901) 388-0852